Certificate in General Christian Studies (GCS)
A pre-seminary program of seven intensive survey courses designed to provide a solid foundation for traditional seminary study. The GCS Certificate is specifically crafted with a view to committed, serious students who lack a traditional academic background for seminary study. Each course requires the complete reading of at least one major text prior to the first class meeting. The remainder of required readings must be completed after the week of meetings and before the final exam.
Program Directors: Michael Sacasas and Atria Larson
Foundations and Principles
A brisk and concentrated survey of world history and the history of ideas in relation to Christian thought and practice.
Old Testament Survey
General and special introduction to the Old Testament as Christian Scripture.
New Testament Survey
General and special introduction to the New Testament writings in relation to the Old Testament as canon, the Church, and the Gospel.
Church History Survey
A thorough survey of the history of the Church’s faith and practice with a special focus on the history of doctrine and liturgy.
Theology Survey 1 (Prolegomena, Scripture, God, Man)
A survey of principal topics in systematic theology in relation to Scripture, history, and the Church.
Theology Survey 2 (Christ, Holy Spirit, Salvation, Eschatology, Church)
The continuation of a survey of principal topics in systematic theology in relation to Scripture, history, and the Church.
Ethics & Ministry Survey
A survey of the structure and principles of Christian ethics with a special interest in the relationship of ethics to challenging questions in congregational ministry.
Application & Fees
- Register online by clicking the button below, or contact Greystone at email@example.com for assistance.
- Tuition for 2016 is set at $850 per course or $300 per course for auditors.
- Successful registration requires a non-refundable deposit of $125 per course. The balance for each course is due before the start of each course.
- In addition to course fees, each Certificate program includes a one-time registration fee of $375 at the outset of the program, and a $500 fee upon submission of the concluding research project.
- Students are encouraged to inquire with local and regional church bodies for possible scholarship or tuition assistance.
- Until further notice, travel and food costs will be the responsibility of the student. Greystone highly values hospitality and limited opportunities for housing during intensive courses and other Greystone events are available. Requests lodging via firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.